Fully-funded PhD positions in Biomedical Sciences
Are you passionate about discovering the basis of health and disease, and applying your findings to answer clinically-relevant questions? Are you interested in one of the following topics?
We are committed to meet today’s challenges in biology and medicine and realize that excellent science requires outstanding researchers. If you aspire to be one of them – welcome to the MDC!
- An excellent scientific, international and collaborative learning environment
- Individualised PhD supervision & mentoring
- Support of the thesis committee
- Advanced scientific, research-related & methods training
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure & core facilities
- Regular lectures, journal clubs & seminar series
- Participation in one of our specialised research programs
- A structured program for personal & career development
- Participation in PhD symposia, retreats & social activities
- Travel grants for external courses & conferences
- Active alumni network
Students may, in addition, join our in Medical Systems Biology, – MDC-Weizmann Helmholtz International Research School for Imaging from NAno to MESo, or become associated with the interdisciplinary Data Science School.
Who are we looking for?
To apply, a master’s degree (or equivalent) in in biology, biotechnology, medicine, molecular medicine, chemistry, computer science, data science, engineering, mathematics, physics or a related field, is required. You should hold or expect to obtain your degree not later than four months after the onsite interview week in Berlin (see below for the exact interview dates). Please check further details of your .
Details on the . Please make sure to , as well.
How to apply?
Applications are accepted . Applications via email can unfortunately not be accepted. Detailed information about the application process, including Application manual, .
Please note: due to the COVID-19 epidemiological measures and the unpredictable development of the situation, the timeline of the MDC International PhD Program recruitment, as well as its format, is subject to changes.
Calls for applications are open twice a year, for Spring and Fall recruitment round. For approximate timeline of the Recruitment process, please see below. Please note that these are approximate dates, and they may vary from year to year. For the exact dates, follow the announcements on our page.
- Call open: from November to January
- Online interviews: in March
- Onsite interview week: in April
- Starting date: latest 4 months from the onsite interview week (August same year)
- Call open: from May to July
- Online interviews: in September
- Onsite interview week: in October
- Starting date: latest 4 months from the onsite interview week (February next year)
PhD researchers are fully funded through an initial 3-year employment contract with the MDC. Salaries are competitive to national standards, according to 65% TVöD 13 (monthly net payment of approximately 1600 EUR). Health and social insurance are included in the contract. In many cases, contracts are extended for an additional year. All PhD researchers are expected to complete their doctoral research and thesis in 4 years. The university tuition fees per semester are approximately 350 EUR, and include public transportation ticket.